Monday, January 7, 2019

Top 10 Reads of 2018

I am so behind on all these Top 10 posts but here I am finally posting them! In 2018 I read 75 books! I did also enjoy most of them so it was a very good reading year. This list does not include rereads and are in somewhat of a countdown from my least favorite favorite to my all time favorite. It was difficult to find the order but I am satisfied with the order for now. It could change since I am very indecisive. The top 3 are very solid as my top 3 favorites. (Not including rereads)


10)In Order to Live: A North Korean Girl's Journey to Freedom In Order to Live is a memoir which is a genre I rarely read but it was very good and very important. We follow Yeonmi Park and her journey in escaping North Korea. It is a very important story yet very hard hitting. I have had this book n my TBR forever so I added it to my Top Books I Want to Read in 2018 and I read it in 2018 and I loved it so much and in definitely impacted me more than I thought it would.




Monday's Not Coming9) Monday's Not Coming was one of my most surprising reads of 2018. I fell in love with this book when I first read it and it also ended up on my 24 days of book recommendations post! This book is about a girl name Claudia whose best friend Monday goes missing and she seems to be the only person who notices. We follow Claudia as she figures out what happened to her friend. This book was very addicting and very good!
TW Child Abuse



Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5)8) Empire of Storms is the fifth book in the Throne of Glass series. Even though it is my least favorite in the series so far, I absolutely loved it and am so excited to read the last two books. I have fallen in love with all the characters and the world. This series has become one of my favorites of all time. I hope to finally finish this series in 2019.





Love, Hate & Other Filters7) Love, Hate, and Other Filters is another very important book I read last year that I enjoyed so much more than I thought. This is an own voices book following an Indian Muslim American teen. Maya wants to go to film school in NYU while her parents what her to get a "practical" job and go to school close to home. There is also a terrorist attack near where she lives and the main suspect is Muslim who also happens to share the same last name as she does. Maya does not know who this person is but because of this she and her family deal with a lot of hate. It is such an important book that not enough people are reading.



Daughter of the Pirate King (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1)
6) Daughter of the Pirate King is another underrated read I read in 2018. I did not expect to love it as much as I did and I think that is the reason why it is one of my favorite reads last year. I never read a book about pirates as well so it was very different from my usual reads. Though it is short, I fell in love with the characters and the story line. I usually do not like the romance in books but I absolutely loved this one which was very unexpected. I hope to read the sequel this year.



The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)5) The Cruel Prince is a on a lot of people's Top 10 reads of 2018 and it is also on mine because yes, I am one of those people who absolutely love it. This is an urban fantasy about a girl name Jude whose parents were murdered and she and her sister were taken in to live in the Fae lands. You probably already know about this book so I will not talk to much about it but I will say that I absolutely loved it and do recommend it. Also the cover is gorgeous!



Furyborn (Empirium, #1)4) Furyborn is another one of my favorite reads of the year. I also happened to meet Claire Legrand this year and she is very nice and I do hope to meet her again. Furyborn is about two prophesied queens. The sun queen who will bring prosperity to the kingdom and the blood queen who will destroy it. We follow the perspectives of both of the prophesied queens who both live 1,000 years apart in time. I fell in love with the characters, world, and writing.




Queen of Air and Darkness (The Dark Artifices, #3)
3) Queen of Air and Darkness also made the list which is probably no surprise to anyone who also follows me on Instagram since I love it so much. After thinking about where to place this book, I decided to place it as my third favorite of the year. Queen of Air and Darkness is my least favorite in the series but I still loved everything about this book. I absolutely love this series and I love the characters and the world so much and I will be reading the new shadowhunter books!




The Astonishing Color of After2) The Astonishing Color of After is one of the most hard hitting books I read. The main character in this book is half Taiwanese and half white. I am half Taiwanese and half Chinese so seeing Taiwanese representation in book was very meaningful to me. When Leigh's mother committed suicide she is convinced she turned into a bird. She travels to Taiwan to meet her grandparents for the first time and learns more about her mother and her Taiwanese heritage. TW Suicide, Depression



Renegades (Renegades, #1)1) My favorite read of 2018 is Renegades by Marissa Meyer. I still have not read Archenemies yet but I hope to get to it soon. Renegades is a superhero v. super villain type book. We have the Renegades who are the heroes and the Anarchists who are the villains. Nova is an Anarchist who hates the Renegades and Adrian is a Renegade who believes in justice. This book is perfect for Marvel fans as it gave me so many superhero feels. I have not been disappointed by a Marissa Meyer book yet and I am so excited to continue on with this trilogy.


Those were my favorite reads of 2018! Here are some honorable mentions since I read so many good books. (Not including rereads) These are in no particular order.
- The Hobbit by J.R. Tolken
- Forest of A Thousand Lanterns by Julie C. Dao
- Love Life and the List by Kaise West
- Click'd by Tamara Ireland Stone
- Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
- A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas

1 comment: