Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Forest of a Thousand Lanterns [ Spoiler Free Review ]

Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress, #1)Title: Forest of a Thousand Lanterns
Author: Julie C. Dao
Series: Rise of the Empress #1
My rating: 4/5 stars
Date Read: 12/3/18

I was lucky to hear Julie C. Dao talk about her book on a panel a few months ago and thought it sounded very cool so I finally picked it up and I did enjoy it.

Forest of a Thousand Lanterns is an East Asian inspired retelling of the evil queen. That was all I needed to know to before going into this book. That was all I think you really need to know before diving into the book since I think that it is best to go into this book not knowing to much about the story before hand.

Before reading this book, it is important to know that the main character is not really likable and if you are a person who only likes books with likable main characters, you probably would not enjoy it. I also did not like the main character at all but still enjoyed the overall story.

The beginning of the book was very slow and boring for me. I got very bored and thought I was not going to like it. After pushing through about 100 pages, the story picked up and then I was hooked and basically binge read the second half of the book in one night when I was suppose to be sleeping.

If you are a fan of reading villain origin stories, you would probably love this book. I would also recommend this book for fans of retellings and duologies since this is a duology and the second book just came out.

I absolutely love the world and it is evident that the author knew about the East Asian culture. I do believe that the author is Vietnamese which is part of East Asia.

Overall I do recommend this book and will read the sequel and Julie Dao's future books!

Read for tistheseasonathon [ read a book while listening to holiday music ]

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment