Sunday, April 14, 2019

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue [ Spoiler Free ] Review

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings, #1)Title: The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Author: Mackenzi Lee
Series: Montague Siblings #1
My rating: 4/5 stars
Date Read: 1/27/19

TW Child abuse, alcoholism

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue is a book I had little interest in picking it up. I am not a fan on road trip books and I tend to stay away from historical fiction even though I do enjoy the genre. The main reason is probably because my least favorite subject in school is history and I want to avoid history when possible.

This book follows Henry "Monty" Montague and he goes on a grand tour of Europe with his best friend Percy and his sister Felicity is also suppose to accompany him for part of the journey. Monty also has a minor crush, okay, a huge crush on his best friend Percy. Percy is also black so this book does deal with the racist issues Percy faces as well. Early on during the tour, Monty steals an object he thinks is harmless and he, Percy, and Felicity end up being on the run.

I found myself struggling to focus on the story in the beginning and had to do a lot of rereading to figure out what was going on. After about a hundred pages, the story pick up and I was hooked.

One of my complaints of this book is that the chapters were way to long sometimes and as a result, I felt like I was making no progress in the book, even when I was and it ended up making the book feel unnecessarily long even though it actually was not looking back. This issue is a more, it is me not you situation as I know some people are not bothered by chapter lengths.

If you are looking for a fun read, I will highly recommend it. The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue is a highly entertaining read. I absolutely love all the main characters, especially Felicity. She is definitely my favorite. I will be continuing on with this duology in the future!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment