Tuesday, May 8, 2018

The Perks of Being A Wallflower (Spoiler Free) Review

The Perks of Being a WallflowerTitle: The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Author: Stephen Chbosky
My rating: 4/5 stars
Date Read: 3/14/18

I heard so many great things about The Perks of Being a Wallflower and everyone seems to love it. I am currently a sophomore in high school and because this books takes place in the 1990's there are some differences. One of them being phone calls. People these days at school text and all have phones. here they use landlines.

Going into this book it is important to know that the entire book is told in letters Charlie is writing. Due to the format of the book, it may not be for everyone. I found that way the book was written and Charlie's narration through the letters was my favorite thing about the book. Charlie is not perfect. He has his ups and downs in his life and it is very realistic. He has his flaws and his strengths and grows as a person throughout the year.

So basically I went into this book knowing nothing else about it and I found that it was the best way for me to enjoy these books. I felt as if I was the person Charlie was writing to. It was as if he was my pen pal but it is only one way. I enjoyed learning his story through his letters and I really liked how honest they were.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a very short book. I read the ebook version of it so the page count is kind of funky, but I think it is slightly over 200 pages. I flew through this book not because it was short, but because I wanted to know Charlie's entire story, at least about his freshman year. He had so much to tell.

Family and friends play a very important role in this book. Yes the family exists in this book. It also has some important themes throughout. And also school. Homework exist in this book. Most books I read before that take place in a school setting never talk about the work we get outside of school. Though it is mostly about the English work Charlie gets, homework exists!

Overall I am so happy to say that I enjoy this book and to say I read it. I have not seen the movie yet but now really want to. I do recommend it and I really want a sequel. Like I want to know what happens in Charlie's life next.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment