Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Every Heart a Doorway [ Spoiler Free ] Review

Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children, #1)Title: Every Heart a Doorway
Author: Seanan McGuire
Series: Wayward Children #1
My rating: 3.5/5 stars
Date Read: 5/13/19

Every Heart a Doorway is a book I never planned on picking up mainly because I had little interest in it but I continued to hear such good things about the book and since it is so short I finally caved and read it and am so glad I did because I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

This is more of a short story then a book mainly because it is under 200 pages. This book takes place in a world where some children open up doors and get transported into another world. After awhile, sometimes they leave or get kicked out and can not find their way back. When they return to the world that we know of today, some want to go back to what they call home, the world they traveled to. Those students get sent to the Wayward Children's boarding school. There is also a murder mystery element in it as well.

The beginning of this book was quite confusing to me and it took be a little to get into the story, but about 1/3 or 1/4 of the way through, the story started to pick up and I found myself more interested in what was going on.

My biggest complaint about the book is that it was to short. I felt like the story needed another 100-150 pages for it to be an amazing read. I felt like the world building and character development was not that well done as it could of been because the size of the book. I also wanted the mystery to be better developed and a lot of things seemed a bit rushed.

I did love the concept of the book though and I really enjoyed the story and the writing. I liked the characters however I wanted to know them better and I am planning on reading the other books in the series in the future. Overall I do recommend ii, but keep in mind that because it is a short read, some plot points, the character development, and world building, may seem rushed.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I really really need to read this!! Thanks for the review!! :)

    ReplyDelete