Tuesday, January 30, 2018

The Circle (Spoiler Free) Review

The CircleTitle: The Circle
Author: Dave Eggers
My rating: 2.5/5 stars
Date Read: 1/15/17





Schools book club pick of the month

I thought The Circle was just okay. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it. I had problems with it but at the same time this book is also very eye opening.

This book follows a girl name Mae Holland who is hired to work in The Circle, the worlds most powerful and most influential internet company. She is very excited to work there and we basically follow her and see The Circle grow through her eyes. The age of transparency is beginning and people's lives are becoming more public.

The one thing I really liked about the circle was that it shows us what could potentially happen in the future. How influential technology is on our everyday lives. I really liked seeing that we need to know the boundaries of how far we should share our lives to the public because everyone deserves some privacy in their lives.

My biggest complaint about this book was that there was no chapters. Maybe it was the edition I read but there were no chapters. Not having chapters made the books seem longer than it actually was and it had a influence on how much I enjoyed the book. I also want to say that The Circle was a bit over descriptive and could be shorter.

The ending was not what I expected it to be. It was all this build up for one or two pages of conclusion. I feel like if they shortened parts of the book before the ending and extended the end the book could of been so much better.

As for the characters. I was not very attached to them. I didn't care about them ad I didn't like Mae especially in the second half of the book. I could really see how working in the Circle changed her and not in a good way. At least based on the events that happened the change in her personality was realistic. Still very confused based on that ending.

The concept of this book was very cool and unique especially with all these new technologies today. I feel like this book could of been better if it was written differently but I did still enjoy it. Overall a meh read but I still think that it was an important read and that if you want to pick it up I would say go for it.

There is also a movie and it stars Emma Watson so I will be watching it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment