Tuesday, February 13, 2018

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Spoiler Free) Review

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Series: Mara Dyer #1
My rating: 3.5/5 stars
Date read: 1/27/18


I picked this book up mainly because I keep seeing the Becoming of Noah Shaw floating around and I wanted to see what the hype about this series was and I needed a easy read to read during midterms.

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer follows a girl name Mara obviously and she wakes up in the hospital without the memory of why she is there. She later moves to Florida and she tries to remember what happens that night throughout the story. I surprisingly enjoyed this book but I did have some issues with it as well. I really enjoyed having an unreliable narrator because it kept me guessing whether something was true or false throughout the book and I think that may of been the reason why the rating is higher than I thought I would of gave it.

One of the issues is the romance. I did not care about it and didn't ship the two characters that were supposed to be shipped.

I really enjoyed the writing style of this book. It was very easy to follow and perfect to read when very busy as I did not have a lot of reading time when reading it.

One thing that I will say is that Noah Shaw is not the swoon worthy. I expected him to be like a new fictional crush but nope, I just found him average which is extremely disappointing. I did like Mara but I didn't love her as well. I thought all the character were average.

Also I really enjoyed the sibling relationship between Mara, Daniel, and Joseph. It is realistic and it is evident that they all love each other. I feel like in most books we never see siblings getting along and they usually are enemies or just side characters that are only in the book once or twice. In this book, the siblings are still side characters but they are still constantly in Mara's life and care about her.

The ending makes me want to read the next book soon. I heard the second one is good but the last one isn't so I don't know if it is worth continuing with this trilogy yet. I also am not hearing great things about The Becoming of Noah Shaw, but we shall see. Overall I did enjoy this book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment