Monday, February 5, 2018

Wintersong (Spoiler Free) Review

Wintersong (Wintersong, #1)Title: Wintersong
Author: S. Jae-Jones
Series: Wintersong #1
My rating: 3/5 stars
Date Read: 1/20/17

I recently heard of Wintersong and when I read the synopsis I knew I had to read it. It sounded so good.

Wintersong follows a girl named Elisabeth also known as Lisel. She is very passionate about music and music continues to be very important to her throughout the story and I really liked that element. Lisel heard tales about the Goblin King and one day her sister is taken by him. Lisel decides to travel underground and save her sister. I heard this is a Labyrinth retelling and I have absolutely no idea what that is but people say they are similar so. . .

I did not like the beginning of the story. I felt like nothing happened and it was all background information that I did not really care about whether it was important or not. About 1/4 of the way through I was hooked and loved it. Then the middle hit and after that it was just meh. The first half was more action which is what I wanted and the second half was more of an emotional battle which I did appreciate as we don't see a lot of those in fantasy, however I was not expecting the journey to end so soon and was just kind of bored in the second half of the book. The second half also seemed more romance heavy and I did not care about the romance which is a big factor of why I did enjoy the first half more.

Even though I heard this is a Labyrinth retelling, Wintersong also felt like a Hades and Persephone retelling as well. Maybe I noticed that because I have no clue what Labyrinth is but I never heard anyone else make the Hades and Persephone connection although I am pretty sure there are reviews out there that say something about it and I just have not come across them yet.

Will I be continuing with this series or duology or whatever it is. At the moment no. I don't care about the characters that much and I am not really interested in seeing what happens next. This book was entertaining and I did enjoy it for what it was but it as ultimately disappointing as I though I would love it and give it at least a 4-star rating. This book is not for everyone but if you are interested I would suggest reading some other reviews that are more positive and some that are negative before reading this book before you decide whether or not it is for you.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment