Saturday, July 14, 2018

City of Bones (Spoiler Free) Review

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)Title: City of Bones
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments #1
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Date Read: 5/20/18

Actual rating 3.5

The Mortal Instruments is my least favorite series in the Shadowhunter world so far. I read City of Bones for the first time in 7th grade. It has been awhile. I actually did a book report on this book when I first read it.

City of Bones in the first book in the TMI series. We follow a girl name Clary and she wittiness a murder only she can see and there is no body left behind. She thrust into the shadowhunter world and ends up on looking for something which I do not want to say because it is not in the synopsis and I do not want to spoil the book.

If I were to be totally honest, I do not like Clary or Jace. Both of them are probably my two least favorite characters in the series. Clary is not that bad in this book, but as the series continues, she gets more and more annoying. Everyone says Jace is dreamy and amazing but personally I do not like him.

Despite not loving the two main characters, I do love Isabelle, Alec, and Simon. All three are some of my favorites. I did not really like Simon that much till later on in the series when I first read it but I definitely like him more in book one on my reread. Same goes for Alec. I do wish we saw more of these three characters in this book but they will play a bigger role in future books and I am looking forward to that.

I definitely think if you are interested in this series that you should dive into TID first because the world building is better and it is easier to understand than in this one. In City of Bones we kind of dive right into the story with very little development since Clary is very single minded and not really into learning about the world unlike Tessa, TID, who is more interesting in it and everything is better explained since she is trying to understand what the world is.

Yes I am glad I reread this book and I do plan on continuing my reread.

For those of you curious on my opinions on the adaptations, the movie is meh (Lily Collins was great) and the TV show is shit.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment