Thursday, July 5, 2018

Glass Sword (Spoiler Free) Review

Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2)Title: Glass Sword
Author: Victoria Aveyard
Series: Red Queen #2
My rating: 2 of 5 stars
Date Read: 5/8/18


I read Red Queen in the beginning of 7th grade. Now I am in 10th grade. It has been awhile. I wanted to continue on with this series and I really did enjoy the first book. Despite Red Queen not being one of the most original books, I remembered a lot of it and was ready to dive into Glass Sword. Sadly this book was a disappointment. (I did look up spoiler reviews of Red Queen before reading this book)

In this world the people with silver blood have powers and those with red blood do not. Our main character Mare has powers and is a red blood. Glass Sword takes place after the events of book 1 but because of spoilers, I am not going to give you a synopsis.

I heard mixed reviews about the second installment. I went into Glass Sword with very low expectations and still did not enjoy it that much. The beginning was slow and boring. I felt like nothing happened. I mean things did happen, it just was not exciting. I considered multiple times whether or not I should DNF it or not. I ended up pushing through and I am glad I did because the middle chunk of the book was actually good. The ending was eh so overall the book was just okay.

I felt like this book was longer than it had to be. The entire story, I felt at least, was entirely based on who you can trust or not.

There were a grand total of zero characters I loved. I mean I did like Farley and the rest I do not care about. I actually found the main character Mare to be extremely unlikable in this book. I remember liking her in book one but sadly not in this one. She made some very not so smart decisions and was very annoying. I did not like her narration that much as well. What I did wish for was that we saw more of Maven. Maven is a very interesting character and I actually do want to know what is going on in his world. Cal was eh. Kilorn, eh. Did not care much about them.

Would I have enjoyed this book more if I read it a year ago? Probably. I think my reading taste changed slightly since reading Red Queen and I ended up finding this book eh. If you want to read a book with an original concept, this series is not for you, but if you are okay with it, I would say give it a shot since everyone has different opinions on everything. I probably would not continue with this series to be honest since I do not really care to know what happens in the future books. Only time will tell though.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Glass Sword was the one I liked the least out of the Red Queen series, in fact I pretty much hated it.

    ReplyDelete