Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Vampire Academy Review

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1)Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
My rating: 3.5/5 stars
Date Read: 4/17/17

This book is trash, but addictive trash. The perfect book if you are in a reading slump and need something that is not hard to follow and addictive.

I never read a book based on Vampires (unless TID, TMI, and TDA count). Yes, I haven't read Twilight yet and yes, I don't plan on reading it because I already know I will hate it.

Vasilissa, Lissa, is a Moroi, which is a type of vampire that is mortal, can tolerate some sunlight, and possesses some magic. She has a rare gift and has to be protected from the Strigoi, the immortal vampires who are more powerful. Rose Hathaway is a dhampir which means she has both human blood and vampire blood in her system. She can eat normal food and has no problems standing under the sun. If you are still confused, don't worry, the book explains what each one is very well.

This book is told in first person and we follow Rose Hathaway's point of view. Rose and Lissa ran away from the St. Vladimir's Academy and escaped for two years. Now they are caught and sent back to the academy. There are stuff that happens but I feel like if I tell you what it is it may ruin the enjoyment of the book so I am not going to tell you.

The writing style is easy to follow. It is easy to figure out what is happening making it easy to just dive into the story. I will say though that at times, I found the narrator a bit annoying mainly when she repeats herself on how attractive a guy is over and over.

My favourite character by far is Christian. I wished we saw him a bit more throughout the book. He is a student that is "invisible" at the academy meaning no one really notices his.

Rose and Lissa's friendship is amazing. A female friendship in a book, sign me up. I feel like we need to see more female friendships in books. Authors you can still have romance and strong female friendship! Both Lissa and Rose stand up for each other and try to do what is best for one another and I loved that aspect so much. I am the book focused a lot on the friendship.

I do recommend this book for reading slumps and overall did enjoy it. The main reason though why I gave 3.5 stars and not 4 is because it didn't really stand out to me.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment