Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Lord of Shadows Review

Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices, #2)Title: Lord of Shadows
Author: Cassandra Clare
Rating: 5/5 stars
Date Read: 5/28/17


I love this book and it is my favourite read of the year. Sorry ACOMAF I love this book more. If you don't know this is the second book in Cassandra Clare's The Dark Artifices series. The order of which to read Cassandra Clare's books before anyone asks yes you do need to read Cassandra Clare's other books before reading this series in order to avoid spoilers. Also this may be my second or third favourite book in the Shadow world.

The rest of the review is going to be spoilery so read at your own risk.

SPOILER SECTION






This review is going to be all over the place because I have so much to say. It will probably not be in order.

One of my thoughts after finishing the book and getting over the ending was where is Simon and Izzy. We did not see them at all throughout the book and I was very disappointed since Izzy is my favourite TMI character. We did see Magnus and Alec though and their kids. I swear every time Max and Rafe were mentioned I was smiling. I am so glad that we got to see their children.

In the beginning we follow Kit and he is talking to Jace and Jace finds out he is stealing weapons from the institute. And there was the talk between Emma and Clary and we finally figure out my Clary said no to Jace when he asked her to marry him. I see why and I understand.

I am surprised though that we did not see both Jace and Clary for the rest off the book. I expected to see them at the big meeting at the end.

A question you may have is who do I ship Mark with. Answer I don't know at the moment. I sometimes will ship him with Christina and then I will switch to Keiren. It keeps changing. I am not on a solid ship yet but I will hopefully join a side in the next book.

Also I should mention that I am so glad that we get Dru's point of view. I don't ever remember reading from Dru's prospective in Lady Midnight and I feel like Dru had so much character development in this book and I appreciate her so much more as a character. I really hope though that we do see Tavvy's POV in the future because I am curious to see what he is thinking.

Back to Dru. I love that she played a bigger part in this story and I really liked how she was the one who kept Jamie a secret from the others. When she touched the thing in Jamie's bag (yes I was suppose to take notes but failed because I didn't want to stop reading) she saw a faerie with GREEN eyes and WHITE BLONDE hair. So if you don't know Christine over at Polandbananasbooks has a theory that Sebastian and the Seelie Queen had a baby. Is that the baby. I know the faerie is about thirteen and the events happened 5 years ago but still. Time is different in faerie and I wonder if that is the baby!

Of course we know that Malcolm isn't dead and I wasn't surprised by it. I had a feeling when the centurions and the Blackthorns plus Diana and Emma were fighting the sea demons that Malcolm was going to come mainly because his body was in the ocean. What surprised me was the Arthur sacrificed himself to save the children. He should be remembered. Also another thing that surprised me what that Annabel was the one to kill Malcolm. I thought she was going to be happy to see him but clearly she wasn't

Lets talk about the Centurions. I hate Zara. She reminds me of Gildroy Lockhart because she takes credit for what others had done. At the end when she is caught lying I have a feeling she is going to want revenge.

No lets talk about Diego. Diego is, was, I don't know at this point, engaged to Zara. What the frick was what my first reaction was. Why? He was cheating on Christina and he already broke her heart once and she gave you another chance and you blow it!? I do have to say though the explaination was logical.

Okay time to talk about that trip in faerie. We meet the Unseelie King for the first time and when Mark, Christina, Julian and Emma are rescuing Keiren and when Emma fights a faerie and the king orders her to take of the helmet it was her father?! I was like what the hell is happening. It wasn't her father though. I was also shocked to see that seraph blades and runes did not work in the Unseelie lands. I knew from the moment they mentioned that something was up with the Unseelie king.

We also meet Mark and Helen's faerie aunt, Nene. I really hope we get to see some more of the faerie family.

In the faerie lands Julian meets the Seelie Queen and she makes a deal with him to give her the black book and they will side with the shadowhunters end the cold peace and destroy the Unseelie King. Of course she mentions that she found a way to break Emma and Julian's parabatai bond and that is to destory all parabatai relationships. No. Why? They had hope and now they have no hope again.

Let's talk about Ty, Livvy and Kit before the ending. Kit and Ty are literally best friends and I am pretty sure are either going to date or become parabatai. I love how Ty was the one to give Kit his first rune I feel like Kit trusts Ty from the very beginning which is something big since he tried to run away and steal things in the very first chapter. When Livvy and Kit kiss I was like WHAT and WHY? I did not see that coming but Livvy did say they should just be friends when they were about to kiss again. And they did not kiss again. But still. I loved the side adventures they had with the shadowmarket and when Magnus rescues them from the Market. I was like MAGNUS IS BACK Livvy is going to be fine. (not really you know what happens at the end)

I haven't talked about Julian and Emma at all throughout this review so let's talk about them. When they were in Malcolm's house and they expressed their feelings for each other I was so happy. They finally are sharing their honest thoughts! Also the moment when Julian sees Annabel for the first time. Holy. I was surprised she showed her face. She talks to him and refuses to give him the black book.

I need to talk about Cortana before I reach the character limit. Cortana stabbed one of the Unseelies imortal 7 riders. I forgot what they are called and cannot find the name in the book. Cortana is the blade that killed a immortal rider and no rider was ever killed before. I was like wow. And at the end when Emma uses Cortana to break the Mortal Sword. What!? I was so surprised I read that section twice just to make sure I was reading it right. I am pretty sure Cortana is going to be very important in the next book.

Now I need to talk about the ending before my fingers fall of from typing this extremely long review. When the Blackthorns see Helen again I almost cried. It was like the happy family reunion I was waiting for. Of course it is ruined when Annabel takes the the mortal sword and stabs LIVVY?! It took me so long to process it. I was shocked even though I saw it about 5 seconds before it happened I was still shocked. Livvy risked herself throwing Julian her blade and she had to die. Why? I need to know what happens next and I know that Julian is going to be over protective of the younger Blackthorn's now.

Annabel also kills Robert Lightwood. He was going to take the sword from her and she kills him?! I swear she is working for the Unseelie King since we saw the half crown before Annabel vanishes. I think Annabel is working for the Unseelie King.Robert was also the person Magnus recommend that Emma and Julian tell their problems to. And he was going to help them. Why did he have to die. He was the one person who had the power to help them.

I love the diversity in this book and it adds a lot to the story. Diana is transgender and I love how it shows that it is okay to be you. I personally wasn't the biggest fan of Diana in the first book and she seemed a little shady and I knew she was hiding something. I did not expect this. I really loved her story and I appreciate her so much more as a character.

I have so much more to say and this is the longest review I have ever written.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment