Sunday, May 7, 2017

The Hate U Give Review

The Hate U GiveThe Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars
Date Read: 3/3/17


The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas is one of the most important books released this year and it is a must read. This book deals with important topics today. It has to do with shooting a shooting of an unarmed black man.

This book follows Starr Carter who witnessed her friend Khalil get shot by a white police officer when Khalil had no weapons. The book is told in first person and we follow the point of view of Starr. Starr is the only witness and knows that Khalil was actually murdered.

Starr lives two lives. One in Garden Heights where she lives and one at Williamson school. Garden Heights is a black community and Williamson school is a school that teaches mostly white students.

Starr is such a strong character. She has gone through so much and still stayed strong. I loved that about her. Starr felt like a real person and her emotions are realistic and very believable.

One of the characters Maya is from Taiwan. My mother is from Taiwan and her last name before she married is actually the same as Maya. I found it very cool and it was nice to be represented and Maya had a big significance to me when reading this book and I really appreciate having her in the story.

As you can tell this book is based on the Black Lives Matter movement and in very relative today. It is very informative and has very important messages.

Overall I did enjoy the story and I highly recommend it. Just remember every person is important and deserves to be treated with respect.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment