Friday, November 16, 2018

I Believe in a Thing Called Love [ Spoiler free ] Review

I Believe in a Thing Called LoveTitle: I Believe in a Thing Called Love
Author: Maurene Goo
My rating: 3/5 stars
Date Read: 10/15/18

I Believe in a Thing called Love is a contemporary following a Korean American girl name Desi. Desi thinks that anything is possible when you have a plan. She is very smart academically and also on the schools varsity soccer team and has her eye on Stanford University. However, the one thing she is not good at is romance and is always embarrassing herself in front of her crushes. She then has an idea. Her father is obsessed with K-Dramas and the main characters always have a happy ending in love. She decides to watch them and come up with a plan on how to make someone fall for you.

Here is the thing, I found this book to be very cute but the main character can be annoying and does make dumb decisions here and there. You want to scream at the book at her not to do something, but she does it anyway even if it is clearly not a good idea since in a certain way it is completing a step in the K-Drama formula. Other than that I really liked it.

The main character, again is Korean American and it did have Korean culture integrated in the story, but not in a forceful way.

I personally do not care much about K Dramas but I am pretty sure if you like them then you will love this book. There is a K-Drama guide in the back as well if you are interested in watching one and you do not know where to start.

I love the father daughter relationship in the book and how important each of them is to each other and how they care for one another. I love how the parents are not mysteriously absent in this book like a lot of YA stories.

Overall I did like this book but it is not my favorite. It is very ridiculous at times, but it still made me smile a lot when reading and I would recommend it.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. It sounds interesting, but I don't think it's one I will read. Good review though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think this book will be something that I'd read. Overall, great review!

    Elle Inked @ Keep on Reading

    ReplyDelete