Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Flame in the Mist Review

Flame in the Mist (Flame in the Mist, #1)Tittle: Flame in the Mist
Author: Renee Ahdieh
My rating: 3/5 stars
Series: Flame in the Mist book #1
Date Read: 6/16/17


I really enjoyed this book and I do recommend it. Do not go into this book thinking it will be very fast paced because it isn't. Also do not judge the book by the first half of the story. The first half was so boring that I considered DNFing it. After reading some reviews people said that it picked up and it did and I ended up enjoying the book more than I thought I would.

Do not go into this book thinking it is going to be a Mulan retelling because it really isn't. The only thing that is similar to Mulan is that Mariko, the main character, dresses up as a boy. It takes place in Japan.

If you don't know this book follows a girl named Mariko and she journeys to the imperial palace to meet her future husband but on the way there there was an attacked by the Black Clan and they were trying to kill Mariko before she reached the palace. Mariko survives and dresses up as a boy to infiltrate the Black Clan and get revenge.

I won't lie there is a romance in this book. I won't say with who but I will say that I ship it even though I hate it at the same time. Do you know what I mean.

I never read a book set in Japan before and it was honestly a refreshing new setting. I enjoyed the world although I thought it could of been developed a little more. I also wish the characters were developed more as well.

I honestly am still confused a bit by this book since I don't remember much of what happened in the beginning because I skimmed it so try not to skim the beginning if you plan on reading the book and it is hard but try. It may allow you to enjoy the second half more than I did.

I do recommend this book but if you are in a reading slump do not read it because the beginning is again, very boring and it will probably push you in a farther into the slump. I will also say that if you love fast paced books, this may not be for you.

I have heard mixed reviews about this book so I cannot promise you will like it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment