Thursday, March 22, 2018

Love, Hate & Other Filters (Non-Spoiler Review)

Love, Hate & Other FiltersTitle: Love, Hate & Other Filters
Author: Samira Ahmed
My rating: 4 .5/5 stars
Date Read: 2/19/18



Love, Hate & Other Filters is one of my most anticipated releases of 2018 and it did not disappoint. This book tackles important issues like Islamophobia.

Our main character Maya is a senior in high school and she is an American Indian Muslim teen. Her parents want her to go to a college near home and marry a Muslim boy that they thing is suitable for her while she wants to go to NYU and study film, something she knows her parents would disprove. There is also a terrorist attack and Maya has no relation to the main suspect, she doesn't even know who he is but he shares the same last name as her and people start to treat her differently.

First off family is a really important part of the story. Unlike many YA books, the parents are existent. Maya's parents care for her in their own special way. She also has a very good relationship with her aunt and I really thought that added a lot to the story.

I have heard people talk about this book here and there and after reading the synopsis I knew I wanted to read it. The author is from India which made me sure the representation would be accurate when writing about an Indian American teen. It deals with though topics that are not usually in YA such as people hating others for their religion. It is definitely a must read. If you like The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas or plan on reading that book please add this one to your TBR.

Love, Hate & Other Filters is under 300 pages therefore this book is perfect for readathons, reading slump, or a perfect book to read when you don't have a lot of time to read. It is not a fluffy read even though it had its cute romance moment. It took me a few chapters to become attached to Maya and the story but after that it was incredible so if you are not liking the first few chapters keep pushing through.

Violet is Maya's best friend and it is evident that she cares about Maya and that Maya cares about her too. I thing they are the perfect best friends and have a very strong relationship. Literally I could go on about this if this was a spoilery review.

Overall I highly recommend this book and I think it is am important read. This is also Ahmed's debut novel and it was incredible. The writing is amazing along with the characters. I will definitely be reading her other books in the future!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment