Monday, December 18, 2017

Dorothy Must Die (Spoiler Free) Review

Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die, #1)Title: Dorothy Must Die
Author: Danielle Paige
Series: Dorothy Must Die #1
My rating: 4/5 stars
Date Read: 12/6/17

*My schools book club pick for December

Story time. More like a confession. I never watched The Wizard of Oz before. I watched part of it a long time ago but I never seen the whole movie. I do know what the Wizard of Oz is about. Time to watch the movie and read the books now!

To the actual review.

I heard very mixed things about this book and I didn't really want to read it. The only reason why I did read it is because it is my school's book club book of the month. Since I am a good member I read it and I surprisingly really enjoyed it.

I had no idea what this book is about when I first picked it up and the first thing I want to say is that Dorothy is not the main character. We follow a girl named Amy Gumm and she lives in Kansas with her mom. Amy one day swept to Oz. She had heard of Oz before. Oz is not what she expected. Dorothy apparently returned to Oz and is now in charge of the ones who live there. Of course we know she is an awful ruler because the title says Dorothy Must Die. This book takes place after the events of the Wizard of Oz.

If I were to be honest I didn't love any of the characters in this book. I was never really attached to them at any point, but I didn't hate most of them as well. They were just Neutral. Sometimes I didn't agree with Amy's decisions as well but she wasn't annoying. At some parts yes she could of been annoying but I didn't hate her. I guess you could say my favorite character is Gert or Glamora. I really liked both of them. Especially Gert.

I really like the world of Oz but I didn't like the state it was in. I if you read this book you probably know what I am talking about. It was so interesting to see what happened to the characters in the Wizard of Oz even though I haven't read the book or watched the movie and I think the author took an interesting take on the world and I actually enjoyed it

I wasn't a huge fan of how things ended in this story. I wished it ended slightly differently. This series has 4 books and to be honest I think this can be a duology based on what happens in this book. But I do plan on reading the second book. I did hear the series gets worse at it goes on but I want to know what happens next.

Overall I really did enjoy it and would recommend it however this book is not for everyone.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment