Saturday, December 23, 2017

Most Disappointing Reads of 2017

Today I will be talking about my least favourite/most disappointing reads of 2017. I read 84 books this year so far and I am so happy with that number. There is still a few more days till the new year so that number may go up. Please note it is okay to love the books on this list. Everyone has their own opinions and please respect mine. I will also be doing a favourite reads of the year of the year soon.

First lets talk about the DNFs. I DNFed three books this year. These do not include the books that I plan on going back to.

Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms, #1)
The first book I DNFed is Ever the Hunted by Erin Summerill. I wanted to love this book so badly but I could not stand it. I didn't like the characters and I wasn't invested in the story. I stopped reading around page 90. I just couldn't finish it. The premise of the book sounded interesting and I heard good things about it. I am very sad that I didn't enjoy it. This book just wasn't for me and I hope those who read it enjoyed it more.



Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)The next book that I really really wanted to enjoy was Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake. I heard so many good things about this book and the synopsis sounded so good. I love fantasy books and I thought I would love this book but I could not finish it. I was really bored while reading it and also I could not get past the writing style. I tried so hard to ignore it and enjoy the the story but it annoyed me so much. This book is just not for me but so many people love it and I really wish I could of been one of them. Also the cover is gorgeous. I do plan on reading Blake's other books in the future and I would hopefully like it more.

UprootedThe final book I DNFed this year I was so sad to DNF. I heard so many good things about it and I wanted to love it so much and the book is Uprooted by Naomi Novik. I wanted to read this book ever since I first heard about it but I was so bored while reading it. Nothing happened and I didn't care about the characters. I tried so hard to keep pushing myself to finish it but honestly I gave up. Overall this book is just not for me.



So those are the three books I DNFed this year. I hope that one day I will have the motivation to pick these books up again but at the moment I plan on just leaving them unfinished. Onto my most disappointing reads that I finished.



A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1)The first book on my list is a Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. I gave this book 1/5 stars. I am so surprised I finished it. So many people love this series and I wanted to be one of them. When I heard this book was becoming a TV show I just had to read the books and this book wasn't what I expected. A Discovery of Witches is very romance heavy and doesn't have a lot of action. I also thought it could of been  lot shorter. I wish I loved it just like most people but it wasn't for me.



Passenger (Passenger, #1)The next book is Passenger by Alexandra Bracken which I gave 2/5 stars. I enjoyed her book The Darkest Minds and I still need to finish that series but I was very disappointed when I read this one. My friend read and loved this book and overall I was disappointed. I didn't hate it I only thought it was okay. It could of been a lot better. I have not decided whether or not I will be reading the second book yet. I may since it is only a duology.




Because You Love to Hate Me: 13 Tales of VillainyThe last book on my list is Because You Love to Hate Me by many authors and booktubers. I found this anthology extremely disappointing. I enjoyed about half of them and hated the rest. I had high expectations going into this book. It features some of my favourite authors and some of my favourite booktubers but ultimately it let me down. I used a calculator and this book gets a 3.1/5 stars which isn't bad it just wasn't as good as I wanted it to be.





And those were my most disappointing reads of 2017. I hope you enjoyed this post and if you read any of these books I hope you liked them more than I did. Keep an eye out for my favourite reads of 2017 because I read so many good book this year and it will be a lot longer than this one. My average rating was a 3.8 this year. Hope to see you in my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment