Saturday, December 2, 2017

Winter Book Recommendations

Since it is winter time I thought I would share some books that I think are perfect to read during this season. In the winter time I personally tend to read more fantasy books than the other genres. I do find that I enjoy reading historical fiction books more in the winter time. Ido recommend Harry Potter but I won't talk about it in this post because most of you probably already read it.


Falling Kingdoms  (Falling Kingdoms, #1)The first book series I have to recommend is the Falling Kingdoms series by Morgan Rhodes. This series is a high fantasy series. It is often compared and said to be the YA version of Game of Thrones and I do see the comparison. Falling Kingdoms is the first book in this series and it takes place in Mytica where there are 3 kingdoms. we follow the point of view of several of the characters who live in the kingdoms. The last book, Immortal Reign, comes out in February. If you do like this series Rhodes also has another series out called the Book of Spirits and Thieves and it also takes place in the world of Mytica. It also doesn't matter which series you read first.


A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1)
The next book or trilogy that I recommend I have only read the first two book but I really enjoyed them and that is A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab. This is an adult fantasy novel where there are basically parallel Londons. We have Grey London, Red London, White London, and Black London. People called Antari are able to travel between Londons and our main character Kell is one of them. Kell is from Red London and he smuggles things between Londons. We also have another character named Lila who is from Grey London and she is one of my all time favorite characters ever. As I said in the winter time I prefer to read fantasy books in the winter time so you will probably notice most of the books will be fantasy books.


Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
The next series is a series that I am currently rereading, or at least when I am writing this review and that is Cinder by Marissa Meyer which is the first book in the Lunar Chronicles series. Cinder is a fairytale retelling of Cinderella and it is also a science fiction book. In the world there is a deadly disease with no cure spreading, there are Lunars (moon people) who live on the moon, and people who are cyborgs and our main character Cinder is one of them. Cinder is New Beijing's best mechanic. That is all you need to know before reading this book. I love this series so much and it is one of my all time favorites.



Frostblood (Frostblood Saga, #1)The Next book I have to recommend is Frostblood by Elly Blake. The second book Fireblood also recently came out but I haven't read it yet. The reason why I feel like Frostblood is the perfect winter read is because it takes place during the winter time and also most of the characters in this book are frostbloods. And the cover also looks wintery. We follow Ruby who is a fireblood living in a world ruled by frostbloods. Her mother is killed (says in synopsis so it is not a spoiler and it also happens in the very very beginning) and she decides to agree with a group of rebel frostblood to help overthrow the king. This book does have some tropes in it, however I still really enjoyed it and I feel like many people would too.


Salt to the Sea
Another book I have to share is Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys. I also do recommend her other book Between Shades of Grey but honestly I liked this one slightly more. This book is so hard to explain but basically it is a historical fiction that takes place during World War II. It follows many different character POV. Each character is from a different country. If I were to be completely honest Salt to the Sea is probably my all time favorite historical fiction book. Yes I like it more than The Book Thief. I love Sepetys' writing style and the way the story was told is so beautiful and I highly recommend this book and I feel like more people need to read it.



The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen, #1)Overall I recommend this book to most people. The final book I am recommending is The Orphan Queen by Jodi Meadows. In my opinion this is an underrated duology. Yes it is a fantasy duology! Personally I found some parts of the book predictable but it didn't impact my reading experience at all. This book is about a girl named Wilhelmina and she is an orphan. Her parents were murdered and she grew up living with the Ospreys. They plan on taking her kingdom back and to do this, she and her best friend Melanie must go into the Indigo kingdom and spy on the King's plans. I haven't seen this book being talk about on booktube or seeing it in bookstagram photos. Again it is a fantasy book and I love reading fantasy in the winter time so it is the perfect time to pick it up.

And that is my winter book recommendations. I hope you find some new books to add do your TBR or maybe motivate you to read one of these that are already on your TBR. Hope to see you in my next post.


No comments:

Post a Comment